|1 ½ Cups Sugar|
|2 Cups Vegetable Oil|
|2 Large Eggs|
|2 (1 oz.) Bottles Red Liquid Food Coloring|
|1 Tsp. White Vinegar|
|2 ½ Cups Flour, All Purpose|
|2 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa|
|1 Tsp. Baking Soda|
|1 Tsp. Salt|
|1 Cup Buttermilk|
|2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract|
|Cream Cheese Frosting:|
|1-8 oz. Cream Cheese, Softened|
|½ Cup Butter, Softened|
|1- 16 oz. Box Powdered Sugar, Sifted|
|2 Tsp. Vanilla|
- Beat sugar and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Add food coloring and vinegar, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into muffin pans lined with paper liners, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread generously with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with coconut, if desired.
- Yield: 26 cupcakes
NOTE: 1 oz food coloring will work if you don’t have 2 oz.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Combine cream cheese and butter, beating until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
RECIPE OF DAUGHTER, AMBER W., MARCH 2014
PHOTO: COURTESY OF DAUGHTER, AMBER W.