|PASTA – Quantity of Pasta for # Servings
|BECHAMEL SAUCE – 1 Cup Sauce Per 1 Cup Pasta – Recipe for 1 Cup Sauce:
|1 Tbsp. Flour
|1 Tbsp. Butter
|1 Cup Milk or Half-n-Half
|CHEESE BECHAMEL SAUCE – ½ Cup Cheese Per 1 Cup Sauce Per 1 Cup Pasta Per
|½ Cup Cheese, Equal Parts Shredded Cheddar (or
|Colby Jack) and Velveeta
|TEMPERED EGGS – 1 Egg Yolk Per 2 Cups Mac and Cheese
- Cook elbow macaroni as noted on package directions for al dente. Drain pasta well and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet, add flour and mix well. Add milk or half-n-half and stir until sauce just coats back of spoon.
- Add cheese to béchamel sauce one cup at a time, making sure each cup is melted prior to adding the next cup.
- Temper eggs by whisking in a metal bowl over steam or by dipping the whisk in hot béchamel sauce as you whisk the eggs to temper.
- Add the tempered eggs to the Cheese Béchamel Sauce, mix thoroughly. Add pasta to the sauce and egg mixture and mix thoroughly. If you want more shredded cheese add at this time and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mac and cheese mixture into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes. Uncover, top with additional cheese and bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.