|3-4 Split Chicken Breasts, Med-Lg, with Bones
|2 Bags Tri Color Twisted Pasta Noodles
|1 Lg. Red Bell Pepper, Cut Bite Size Pieces
|3-4 Celery Stalks, Cut Bite Size Pieces
|1 Red Onion, Chopped
|1-2 Fresh Broccoli Crowns, Cut Small Pieces
|8-10 oz Block Sharp Cheddar, Cut Small Cubes
|10-12 oz Jar Mayo (do not use Miracle Whip)
|16-20 oz Bottle Zesty Italian dressing
- Remove skin from chicken breasts.
- In a large pot heavily pour celery salt and ground pepper and bring to a boil with chicken breast. I skim the fat off the top with a slotted spoon to keep the fat content down. Boil the chicken until done.
- In the same water, cook the noodles as directed so they get that chicken flavoring. Make sure to not overcook them.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can chop the veggies and small cheese cubes. Leave them in the frig until ready to mix the salad. I make the veggies smaller in size so that when you eat it you can grab some of all the flavors at one time. If the veggies and cheese are too large it makes it difficult to eat.
- Debone the chicken that has been cooling while the pasta was cooking.
- Drain the pasta and run under cool water to stop them cooking anymore. Put them back in the large pot and mix the salad dressing and mayo into the noodles. It will look runny.
- Add the veggies and cheese and continue to stir and mix.
- Make sure the chicken is cool before adding because it will melt the cheese cubes if not.
- Mix everything together and make sure it is good and covered. It is best to have the dressing mix on the heavy side because the veggies and chicken will soak up some as it sits overnight.
- Chill well, at least 2 hours and serve with crackers. This is a great dish to make the night before as it becomes better the next day.
RECIPE FROM TAMMIE S. – JUNE 2020
PHOTO: COURTESY OF DAUGHTER, TAMMIE S.